Our association top e.V. aims to build a kitchenlab, a laboratory designed to utilise equipment available in the kitchen of our project space. To spread the word and see how we can collaborate on this new endeavour, we would like to ask for your support and invite you to contribute artworks in an action focused on the concept of kitchen as laboratory. The action will unfold as a set of five events in Berlin, Stockholm, Vilnius and Helsinki, where we will exhibit artworks and host related workshops. Artworks submitted for these events would be greatly appreciated and act as generous donations to support public programmes in our new project space.
Since we are travelling by plane with your works please consider the following package sizes:
maximum size: 15cm x 22cm x 5cm or 21cm x 30cm x 1cm
maximum weight: 500 gr.
All media Formats are accepted – but please make sure that your piece works autonomously (with inbuilt sound, light etc.)
Please remember to sign your artworks.
Deadline: 16th of April 2016.
Please send your artworks to:
Schillerpalais, Schillerpromenade 4, 12049 Berlin, Germany
or come by in person to Schillerpalais on 16th of April from 3 to 6 p.m.
P.S.: Our Swedish Artist Friends can bring their pieces directly to Supermarket Art Fair at Swartet Huset on 19th of April from 1pm till 6pm. Please arrange a date with us in advance or send a SMS to Kim +491771978317 when you are at the entrance.
Please send a printable picture (300ppi, about 10x15cm) of your artwork and the following info to: top[@]top-ev.de
Title of the work:
(we don’t expect artworks to sell more then 100€)
Planned exhibition dates and venues
16th of April 2016 Inauguration at our new project space Schillerpalais
21st to 24th of April 2016, Supermarket Art Fair, Swartet Huset, Stockholm Press viewing and Professional Preview: 20th of April 2016
26th to 30th of July 2016, Sod 4, Vilnius, Lithuania opening, artist dinner
22nd to 25th of September 2016, Pixelache Festival, Helsinki
October, Schillerpalais, Neukölln, Berlin (exhibition, Artist dinner, auction, crowdfunding campaign)
Sources of inspiration about kitchen as laboratory – kitchen-lab:
- The social-chemical-kitchen-power-lab
- Cooking as an art. Changing food in order to assimilate it. You can not eat flour but you can eat bread.
– The cook uses chemical reactions to produce eatable dishes.
– Can you combine subsistence economy with living in metropolises?
– Independence of the food industry by growing and preserving food on your own.
- In the kitchen chemical reactions take place. The kitchen as a chemistry lab.
- Kitchen molecules.
- Food can be preserved when going through chemical processes such as fermenting or other that stop the decomposition.
- Kitchen as the epicenter of domestic communication. Whether in a sharing flat, with friends or family.
– Kitchen has a fireplace. The warmest part of the house.
– The communication around food or in the kitchen when celebrating parties.
– Kitchen as a traditional working-area of women and the change of this tradition.
– Detaching the food culture of the time (Ready-meals: meals without time / vs. more spare time was achieved by products of the food industry and kitchen equipment).
- What meaning has the kitchen in different cultures?
– Exchanging of recipes on the internet / social media. (The illegal prescriptions are also distributed via the Internet).
– Kitchen as a place of secret / illegal experiments: The drug-laboratory, bomb.
- Food vs. poison .
– Power of the kitchen: deciding about your own food.
- Can chemistry experiments represent a democratisation of access to food? Food can be prepared by yourself.
– Art as food, food as art.
– Food preparation and time.
– In the kitchen food is made eatable and uneatable.
– Kitchen as an experimental setup .
– Nature as a good
We would be glad to welcome as many of the participants of “kitchen-lab” at the various openings as possible. But unfortunately, we do not have a budget to pay for travel costs or hosting (we are able to offer accommodation for a restricted number of persons in our own flats in Berlin).
If we sell an artwork the total amount will go entirely to top e.V. to finance our exhibition tour and as a donation for our new space: the Schillerpalais. During the final exhibition in Berlin, we are planning to hold an auction at Schillerpalais. Additionally, a crowd-funding campaign is planned. Unsold artworks will only be returned upon request and at one’s own expense. If you wish to have your artwork returned, please provide sufficient postage and a return address with the work, or if you’re in Berlin, we’d be happy to arrange an appointment for you to pick it up. If you do not specify how to return your work, at the end of these activities all remaining works will be distributed in support of a small crowdfunding campaign for Schillerpalais project space.
If you have any questions please contact us by answering to the sender or to top[@]top-ev.de
We look forward to your submissions! Mindaugas Gapševičius, Kim Dotty Hachmann, Kei Kreutler, Matthias Roth, Ricarda Wallhäuser and all members of top e.V.
Supermarket Art Fair: www.supermarketartfair.com
Sodu 4, Project space in Vilnius: www.letmekoo.lt/sodu-4
Pixelache Festival: www.pixelache.ac
Schillerpalais, Project space in Berlin: www.top-ev.de/about/schillerpalais